* Identity Theft * Email Scams * Phishing Tips * Ebay Fraud * Dating Scams * Fake Websites * Bogus Job Offers * Web Scams *

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Be Wary Of Emails- Especially unknown senders and greeting cards

I know this is nothing new, and we have all heard it. Never open emails from strangers. But what if you do not realize it is a stranger? The scammers are always thinking of new ways to dupe us. To give you an example, below is my bulk mail folder from today. EVERY SINGLE EMAIL IS FROM A SCAMMER. The newest thing seems to be the greeting card one. As you will notice, I have several emails that say someone sent me a greeting card- from all different places. Hallmark, American Greetings, etc. Not one person I personally know would be sending me an email at helpiwasscammed@yahoo.com, because it is strickly used for this site. SO I automatically know that these are scams, however, a person that only uses a single email for personal use, may think that a friend of theirs sent them a card.

DO NOT EVEN OPEN THESE MESSAGES AT ALL. If someone you know sent you a card, it should say it in the subject line, for example, a legit one I received for my birthday said, "You have a greeting card from diana" and it came from her email address.


Always look for the sender's name in the subject line, and you should recognize the person's name.


Here is my mail today:


Sender Subject


Postcard.com You've received a postcard from a Class-mate!
E-Cards.Com You've received a postcard from a Family member!
Rashid Amed Urgent reply needed Mon Jul 23, 2007
greetingcards.com You've received a greeting ecard from a School-mate!
Turner [none]
Dan Wyatt [none]
all-yours.net You've received an ecard from a Partner!
Downey Joachim [none]
Clotilda Rios Post
egreetings.Com You've received an ecard from a Class-mate!
Lewis Mswati YOUR EMAIL WON THE PRIZE
Buckley post
Julia agreement
Lewis Mswati YOUR EMAIL WON THE PRIZE
omar aburbarkar FROM THE DESK OF: MR OMAR ABURBARKAR
www.moneybookers.com Attention: Update Your Information
alhji imam VERY URGENT AND CONFIDENTIAL
Mr Patrick K.W Chan CONFIRM YOUR WINNING PRIZE Ref: XYL /26510460037/05
Houston Leonard [none]
ali ibrahim With Due Respect,
UNITED LOTTERY Winner.......Ref: UK/9420X2/68
Lawrence B. Dorothy [none]
Mytoystore@aol.com Fwd: A new vacancy announced [letter id: t7622509]
rita idoma Greeting From Mrs.Rita Idoma With Due Respect & Humanity
United Kingdom Lottery Final/ BATCH NÂș: 2007UKL-01


25 emails........5 greeting card scams, 5 fake lotteries, 5 scam letters (i.e. help me by sending me all of your money crap), 8 unknowns with attachments, (unknown sender, no subject, yet there is an attachment!), 1 fraud job offer, and 1 phishing (moneybookers). I do not even have an account with moneybookers, yet the email says I have to update my info with them by entering my credit card info! Yikes! People, please be careful.

These slimebuckets can erase your whole computer, with a simple mistake like opening and unknown email.

0 comments:

Resources Navigation